Did You Know...Lubbock Fun Facts
Whether you're a tried-and-true Lubbockite, a relatively new citizen or just a visitor, there are many things you might not know about this great city. While there are some facts you should know about Lubbock, (we are home to rock 'n' roll legend Buddy Holly) some details might surprise you! Take a look at these quick, fun facts about the "Hub City."
Did you know...
- The Chilton drink was created in Lubbock? Years ago, Dr. Chilton wanted to enjoy a refreshing beverage at the Lubbock Country Club. He instructed his bartender to mix the juice of two lemons with vodka and club soda cocktail and serve it over ice with a salted rim. Thus the birth of the Chilton!
- West Texas is responsible for more than 80 percent of the total wine grape production in Texas?
- Lubbock's First United Methodist Church is home to one of the four largest rose windows in the world? It measures 26 1/2 feet in diameter?
- Lubbock has more music venues per capita than any other city in Texas?
- The Museum of Texas Tech University houses a collection of nearly 5 million objects?
- Lubbock is known as the "Hub City" because it is surrounded by five major highways? This gives the appearance of a hub on a wagon wheel, hence the nickname.
- Lubbock has more neighborhood parks per capita than any city in Texas?
- Lubbock was named after former Texas Ranger Thomas S. Lubbock who was killed in the Civil War?
- So far, 17 songs have been written about Lubbock?
- You can find a refreshing margarita in more than 50 restaurants in Lubbock?
We love discovering the facts that make Lubbock unique. If you have some in mind, let us know!