Celebrating the 4th of July in Lubbock
The 4th of July is arguably the best summer event every year. It's a time to be thankful for our country, celebrate with friends and family and enjoy some amazing fireworks shows!
Here's a quick list of some 4th of July activities taking place in Lubbock this year:
4th on Broadway
This annual event is actually the state's largest free festival, and it's right here in Lubbock! If you haven't participated in previous years, it's a must-do. Here is the event listing for this July 4th festival (from the Lubbock Avalanche Journal):
- The festivities will kick-off with the smooth sounds of Grammy-Award winner, Little Joe Y La Familia for Amigo's La Raza on the Plaza event. The gates will open at 7:30 p.m.
- The 4th on Broadway parade, taking place from 9-11 a.m., will feature floats and an array of entries moving west on Broadway, from Avenue Q to University Avenue.
- This year’s street fair will continue from 11 a.m.-4 p.m., with different genres of music featured on seven stages located along Broadway. More than 50 vendors will sell food items from 8 a.m.-4 p.m.
- A children’s area, dubbed the Kids’ Corral, will offer multiple activities from 11 a.m.-4 p.m. in the east parking lot of First Baptist Church, 2201 Broadway.
- An annual Early Settlers’ Luncheon is slated for 11 a.m.-1:30 p.m. at Broadway Church of Christ, 1924 Broadway. The event often sells out before July 4, with many present able to paint a picture of Lubbock in the city’s infancy.
- Mid-afternoon on into the evening hours will find many spreading out blankets for family picnics at Mackenzie Park. A food court will tempt hungry passersby from 4:30-10 p.m., and several at the afternoon Kids’ Corral will have moved their hoppers, face-painting and arts and crafts activities to the park.
- The Randy Rogers Band will headline the 4th on Broadway Street Dance with amazing LIVE music that will have you dancing in the streets!
- Youth Orchestras of Lubbock will play at 7:30 p.m., and the live, patriotic music will continue even as the large fireworks display lights up the sky.
July 3rd Fireworks Extravaganza
Venture out to Buffalo Springs Lake for a fireworks extravaganza with the family. Beginning around 7:45 p.m., attendees will enjoy live music before the firework show, which starts around 9:45 p.m. Gate fees will apply. On July 4th, Buffalo Springs Lake will host a 4th of July parade that begins at noon. Gate fees will apply.
First Friday Art Trail
Enjoy the 4th with some art! The famous First Friday Art Trail happens to fall on the 4th of July this year, and what better way to spend the holiday with friends! Check out our previous blog about Lubbock's most popular monthly event.
Does your family have any other 4th of July favorite events or activities? We'd love to hear about them!
For more great activities, please check us out online at www.visitlubbock.org.